Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finding motivation...It's all about the music

Lately I have felt very overwhelmed. What in the world was I thinking signing up to run a 1/2 marathon. I am not a runner. What a waste of money. I should have just done a 10K for starters. I paid my dues and bought some running gear, but now I have no money for shoes, and I certainly can't run this race as the minimalist I desire to be because I haven't had adequate time to retrain my body for that. What in the world was I thinking....
This morning I woke up knowing that I needed to run today. Not just because I need to get my body ready for the race, but because I have felt my emotions getting a little off kilter and my mind running away with itself (and let me tell you, it's too little to be out by itself). So I decided that I would run today no matter what the little voice in my head was telling me. I don't have a running partner that is Portsmouth local and interested in running the race with me, so I need to learn how to be okay running alone. So music is my partner.

I need some advice on quickly good songs to run to, so if you have any suggestions let me know. For now I created a folder on my Ipod entitled Running and I went through my library of songs and picked out what I thought would be the most motivating. I started off with Cardio Coach which I truly believe was the best decision. Because of his constant encouragement and guidance I just kept going. Then threw on some other songs that I now know wont cut it. I found this blog that I could definitely relate to and really liked the suggestions that she and her readers had on music. So I guess now I just need to check it out. I don't want any swearing so I know that will limit me.

So, my run today was good. It felt great to be out there jogging. I walked a bit more than I had to, but I am so close to the race I don't want to screw up. I want to complete this. I know that I will probably use a good portion of the 4 hours allowed to complete it, but I'm ok with that. I am definitely a bit freaked out about it, but I guess that's a good thing, it will keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment